Audrey Mohan joined BSCS as a Research Scientist in December 2012. Her expertise is in instructional materials design, evaluating instructional materials, and designing professional development. She also has expertise in crowdsourcing and mapping scientific data using cloud-based GIS.
Audrey's current work focuses on designing instructional materials to support NGSS while also igniting a curiosity in students to want to figure out the world around them. She is currently the Associate Director of the OpenSciEd Developer's Consortium - a project designed to create Open Education Resources for middle school classrooms. She also has extensive experience in developing national consensus reports on the design and evaluation of instructional materials and professional development for both geography and science education. She was research director for the National Council for Geographic Education on the Road Map for 21st Century Geography Education project (Schell, Roth, & Mohan, 2013), co-PI on an NSF-funded project that developed a national consensus report entitled Guidelines for Assessing the Quality of Instructional Materials in Science (DGE-1445675). She was also a team member on the collaborative project between BSCS, the K-12 Alliance at WestEd, and Achieve to design and implement NextGen TIME.
She has facilitated professional development for teachers and students in the STeLLA program, and also on using GIS and mapping technologies in the classroom. She is currently a team member focusing on citizen science and learning with FieldScope (DRL-1010749, GEO-0627923).
Audrey has a B.A. in History from the University of Notre Dame, an M.Ed. in Special Education from University of Texas-Austin, and a Ph.D. in Geography - Geography Education from Texas State University - San Marcos. Her dissertation focused on teacher efficacy and teacher professional learning in geography.
Beyond BSCS, Audrey enjoys spending time in the outdoors, traveling around the world, and spending time with her three boys and furry girl.
- SeaPerch/RoboNation. (2018). Exploring big data: A unit on big data analysis for high school students. Funded by the Office of Naval Research. Lead Author.
- BSCS. (2017). Guidelines for the evaluation of instructional materials in science. Colorado Springs: Author. Retrieved from: http://guidelinesummit.bscs.org/sites/default/files/BSCSNGAL2017.pdf [Lead Writer]
- Mohan, A., & Mohan, L. (2016). Spatial thinking with maps: Grades 6-12. National Geographic Education Foundation. Report prepared for National Geographic Education Programs.
- Mohan, A., & Mohan, L. (2014). Spatial thinking through the elementary years. Social Studies Review, 52-59.
- Schell, E. M., Roth, K. J., & Mohan, A. (Eds.). (2013). A road map for 21st century geography education: Instructional materials and professional development (A report from the Instructional Materials and Professional Development Committee of the Road Map for 21st Century Geography Education Project). Washington, DC: National Council for Geographic Education.
- Boehm, R. G., Brysch, C.P., Mohan, A. & Backler, A. (2012). A new pathway: Video-based professional development in geography. Journal of Geography, 111(2), 41-53.
- Battersby, S., Mohan, A., Cooper, C., Curtis, M., Lane, J., Tabor, L., & Wessell, J. (2013). What supports or promotes the development of geographic knowledge, skills, and practices? Research in Geographic Education, 15(2), 29-43.
- Boehm, R.G., & Mohan, A. (2009). Geospatial technology: Curricular keystone of applied geography. International Journal of Applied Geospatial Research, 1(1), 26-34.
- Mohan, A., & Boehm, R.G. (2009). Geography Education in the United States. A chapter in a special edition of Research in Geographic Education, ed. O. Muniz. San Marcos, TX: Grosvenor Center for Geographic Education.
- Bednarz, S., Chalkley, B., Fletcher, S., Hay, I., Le Heron, E., Mohan, A., & Trafford, J. (2008).Community engagement for student learning in geography. Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 32(1), 87-100.